A couple of features modifications I need help with

This is the place to post questions and comments about the FlexBanner component
BritBlokeComputers

A couple of features modifications I need help with

Post by BritBlokeComputers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Firstly let me start off by saying this is an amazing system for free! I have looked at some of the paid systems and shelling out that kind of money without being able to test it in my Joomla setup first to me seems risky lol but this one works almost exactly how I need so far.

Ok so down to the requested help I need.

Fyi I am using the Vertex theme, a mobile responsive theme.

Firstly the entire site will have banners placed in 3 different positions of which I have modules set up for that etc. that's not a problem, but what I would like to do is to be able to have a default banner displayed at a specific location IF and only if there is no banner set for that location on that page/article/category etc.

So for example I could input an advertise here banner and use it all throughout the site in my top banner position, but it would be hidden/removed (not in rotation) on any page where there is another banner available.

Is this possible to do and how would i go about doing it, also I would like to make sure any modifications I make will not be deleted if Joomla or Flexbanner get updated.

Secondly I find that the banners being displayed I wish to use are going to all be 468x60 but when the site is viewed on mobile devices, specifically phones those banners are too wide for the module and overlap the edge, is there a way to modify the code of FlexBanner somehow to allow the banners to be responsive and never bigger than the available space within the module.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew998

Re: A couple of features modifications I need help with

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:53 am

With regard to your first question, it really would not be possible to do it in a way that wouldn't be affected by updates.

For the second item, banners will usually react responsively if you ensure you don't set the module to Load Adverts after Content. This is because of the way the banner is loaded. If you still have problems you can force it using CSS and the !important tag.
Andrew998
Developer

BritBlokeComputers

Post by BritBlokeComputers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, so with my first question if I wanted to do it anyway and would just have to add my modification again after an update, how would I go about doing that?

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:05 pm

It's a big question saying "how can I do that". There are different ways of achieving what you want but I would probably look at adding an bit of code to the module that would add the default banner if there isn't one chosen.
Andrew998
Developer

BritBlokeComputers

Post by BritBlokeComputers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Any help with where to begin looking, where to check against for the if no banner, where to put the code what file.

I can easily enough write the code to create the default banner and display it just need to know what variables to set it as so it displays, where in the code of what file to put it and what variable to check against to determine if the banner for that location on that page has been filled or if none exist.

Thanks for nay advice you can give.

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:12 pm

By the time I tell you all that I would have done it!
Andrew998
Developer

BritBlokeComputers

Post by BritBlokeComputers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Surely there is just a file somewhere and a few lines of code that determine if a banner has been found or not, if not I will have to look through every file until i figure it out myself then.

Thanks anyway.

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Well out of the selection of 1 module php files there are I would suggest looking in mod_flexbanners.php!
Andrew998
Developer