FlexBanner and article categories problem

This is the place to post questions and comments about the FlexBanner component
Kostunix

FlexBanner and article categories problem

Post by Kostunix » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:56 pm

LS

I've FlexBanner working. My intention is to show it only on the teampages of my 'pupillen', not the teampages of Juniors and Adults.

Installed FlexBanner without problems. It is working as you can see on this page:
http://www.kampongvoetbal.nl/Afgelastin ... ingen.html
The upper ING banner above "Speciale Acties" is placed by Flexbanner. All fine.
This banner has content restrictions. It may NOT be visible on the homepage (OK) and must be shown on all articles in the category "Afgelastingen" (OK, that is the link above) and on all articles in the category "Teamsites Pupillen 2015-2016". And that is NOT OK, the banner does not show up on any of these pages.

There are many teampages, see: http://www.kampongvoetbal.nl/Algemeen/t ... mpong.html
The intention is dat on any page for the pupillen (from D1 to Zo F5) the banner appears, on all other teamsite it does not appear.
Just click a few pages and you will find out the banner is not shown.
Just to be sure I listed a few sites (all teamsites with O in it, O12-1, O12-2 etc.) as separate articles where the banner must be shown: no way.

However: there is a way to make them appear and that is done by allowing the banner on the Homepage. When visible on Home it is also visible on the teamsites.
So far so good but than it still doesn't work as it should be. The banner is in that case shown on ALL teamsites. Also the sites in the category Juniors (A1 to C9, the upper five rows) and the seniors (the lower four rows). And that is something I absolutely not want.

Please help me. I tried to disable sh404sef, no change. I cleaned the categories and made sure the names are absolutely different: no effect.

What do I have to do to make it working?

Andrew998

Re: FlexBanner and article categories problem

Post by Andrew998 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:13 am

The clue is on the menu item that you see highlighted when you go to those pages. Rather than "Teamsites" it is "Home" which is why the ad shows if you have "Homepage" on.

This is to do with the link to those pages which uses the itemId for the home page. Those links need to use an itemId for the category for it to work (or, indeed, any link other than home because that is evauated first).
Andrew998
Developer

Kostunix

Post by Kostunix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 am

OK, I kind of get the clue why it is working on one page and not on others.

But how about a solution? I can create a menu item with listing of all articles in a category. Clicking one of those articles will show it with the banner.
But showing the same page from the table still hangs it on the home menu. No banner.
So I guess I've something to change in the redirection from within that table. But how and what do I have to change?

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:33 am

How are the links in the table created?
Andrew998
Developer

Kostunix

Post by Kostunix » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:50 pm

An example:

index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1411:teamsite-d5&catid=112:pupillen-seizoen-2015-2016&Itemid=100001

The category (112) is the correct category where I want my banner to be shown.

Other example:

index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1405:teamsite-b9&catid=111:junioren-seizoen-2015-2016&Itemid=100001

Category 111 is indeed a category where the banner must be hidden.

Looks good to me.

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:10 am

The first thing FlexBanners does is check if the page is the default page. If Itemid 10001 is the ID of your default (home) page then it will not show the banner.
Andrew998
Developer

Kostunix

Post by Kostunix » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Played around with the itemid but no difference.
First I created an hidden menu-item, List articles is a category (teamsites pupillen).Even published the menu-item in module, somewhere in the footer or invisible.
Changed the url with &Itemid=<new menu id>
Makes no difference, it looks like the article is hooked to home.
Other suggestions?

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:59 pm

Is this with sh404sef turned off? If not have you tried clearing the url cache?
Andrew998
Developer

Kostunix

Post by Kostunix » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:05 pm

sh404sef was turned on. The cache I clear almost every time I change something

It turned out that sh404sef had a lot to with it.
The method of creating a menu-item (listing articles in the category I want) in an invisible menu is OK. Once I gave the links the Itemid of this invisible Itemid and turned sh404sef off it worked.

The real problem is in the duplicate url's within sh404sef. Once I deleted all URL's of those teampages including duplicates it started to work
When visiting a team-site of the pupils the banner is shown. The Home-menu is NOT highlighted anymore which is correct: the article is under a menu that you can not see.

I hope other people take the time to read this complete thread cause I can imagine this issue is driving them mad.
For me it was learning: working with hidden menu items turned out to be very handy.

As was also the NoNumber DB-Replacer which was a perfect tool to change the Itemid in the URL's in my table!

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:01 am

To be honest I used to use sh404sef but I dropped it when the core sef really worked. You can use the core redirect component to correct things one you stop a sef extension.
Andrew998
Developer