Handling responsive templates

This is the place to post questions and comments about the FlexBanner component
doorknob

Handling responsive templates

Post by doorknob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi,
I've been looking at the documentation for FlexBanner and it looks very comprehensive. However, I can't quite see how I would handle serving ads in a responsive environment where I would like different size versions of the same ad published into different module positions.
My template allows me to define four different screen size variants. Each variant can have common module position names for modules that appear identically on all screen sizes and other module positions that can be exclusive to one size variant. I expect to use this feature to publish four different versions of the FlexBanner module, each carrying a different size of the ad but only one version being visible at any time. I want to be able to force each of the four modules to display a different size variant of the same ad so that if a change in the browser width triggers a format change, the product being advertised does not change. Is is possible to configure FlexBanner to serve multiple size variants of the same ad?
Thanks
Phil

Andrew998

Re: Handling responsive templates

Post by Andrew998 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm

No, that would be a very complex task and isn't something FlexBanner can do at present. However, as long as you don't choose to load the ad after the content, the banner should scale.
Andrew998
Developer

muddauber

Post by muddauber » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:40 am

I have successfully used FlexBanners with Joomla sites that use MobileJoomla. It works great, as I set
the larger banners for regular site and jmobile banners for the smartphone/mobile sites.

I am in the process of converting my older sites to Joomla responsive sites. Right now, the Joomla
3 version is not working that smoothly with many extensions, so I am not going to jump in and
try to use something like Flexbanners on that.

doorknob

Post by doorknob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:01 pm

I have also used MobileJoomla in the past but I have now moved on because I want a responsive site and MobileJoomla only provides an alternative template if it detects a mobile device. I'm now using a T3 based template and the integration between formats is much better. That's why I am looking for coordination between ads published into different module positions

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:05 pm

You can always set up 4 different sized banners and do it that way.
Andrew998
Developer

doorknob

Post by doorknob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Yes, I expect to do that but what I want is, in effect, the concept of a 'campaign' where the four banners can all be linked in a single campaign and the four modules for publishing those banners are synchonised by grouping them together using an alternative entity. That way, the first module on a page could randomly select a banner and the associated modules could select their content from other banners in the same campaign. My J1.5 site that I'm replacing has that concept built into a VirtueMart extension that I wrote. In the case of the VM extension, the objective was the opposite (i.e. to ensure that products could be promoted in a number of differently styled modules without duplication and with a range of categories represented).

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm

That's a completely different facility to the one you were asking about before.
Andrew998
Developer

doorknob

Post by doorknob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 pm

What did you think I meant?

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Are you referring to a different thread!?
Andrew998
Developer