option to choose banner by ID in the module

This is the place to post questions and comments about the FlexBanner component
joomlagate

option to choose banner by ID in the module

Post by joomlagate » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 am

In the parameters of FlexBanners module, there is only one criterion for choose a banner from those banners created in Flexbanners component: position.

Since maybe one positon can have more than one banners, how can this module know which banner exactly shoule be shown up?

I think , if we want to make this option more precisely, there is another criterion which is unique : the ID of the banner.

In Flexbanner, each banner has its unique ID number. So, please add a new option in the module's parameters to allow choose a banner via its ID ( or a dropdown list of ALL existing banners to choose) .

Thanks.

Andrew998

Re: option to choose banner by ID in the module

Post by Andrew998 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 am

It is deliberately done that way so that you can have more than one banner in a position. If you place more than one banner in a position they are shown at random. If you want to be more precise you can just create more positions.
Andrew998
Developer

joomlagate

Post by joomlagate » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes, I understand the "random one from multi-banners" method. But, I think you can add an new "option" to allow precise selection.

For example:

banner filter method: by positon / by banner ID
Input Position name / ID number : _________

Is it possible to make this module more flexible?

Thanks.

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm

I will certainly consider all your suggestions but the current priority is make the component compatible with Joomla 3.
Andrew998
Developer

joomlagate

Post by joomlagate » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:57 am

Today I inspected the mod_banner module of Joomla core (I never used this before), to my surprise, it does NOT support pick up banner by ID either! That means, the core banner module also can not precisely just show one very single banner! Unless you only assign one single banner to a category, since it picks up banners by category.

Wow, if I have 50 banners, and I want to control them exactly where to show, I should create 50 categories?

What a stupid design!

I hope FlexBanners will not repeat this fault.

Thanks.

joomlagate

Post by joomlagate » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi, Andrew,

Glad to see that your Flexbanner component now supports Joomla 3.

Will you have some time to add this featuer: allow to choose exactly a single Banner by its ID number? ( or a dropdown list of banner titles) ?

Thank you.

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:58 am

Has it ever occurred to you that insulting the designer is not the best way to get them to consider your requests. I may, at some point, consider adding this feature to my "stupid design" but please bear in mind that FlexBanner was designed for a different purpose.
Andrew998
Developer

joomlagate

Post by joomlagate » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 am

What do you mean with the word "insulting"?

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:21 am

I've been thinking about this requirement and I'm really struggling to see why it is needed. Can you explain better what you believe the advantage is of being able to choose a Banner by ID?
Andrew998
Developer

joomlagate

Post by joomlagate » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Well, let us look at this example:

You know, Kunena forum offers "module positions" between posts on the topic page. On this Kunena forum, we have 10+ Sections, for example: one for Car fans, one for Real Estate, one for Food discussio, ...

In Flexbanner, I create a category named "forum banner", and size "798*90", and location "between 1st and 2nd post". In the "forum banner" category, I have 10 banners, all have the same size, but different subject, like: one for Car selling, one for Apartment Rent, one for Sea Food, one for ....

Now, I tried to assign different banner to differnt forum categories.

With the current settings, I can not do this, because you only allow assign banner by Category. If I only want to show Car Selling banner inside the Car fans forum category, how can I do it? Unless I create an extra single FlexBanner category for "Car Ads", right? This means, I have to create 10+ categories, each for a specific subject, and only one banner in each category.

You see, I only have 10+ banners, now I need 10+ Flexbanner categories to manage them!

Why not allow pick up a single banner with its ID? You know each banner has an unique ID number!

If you still can not understand, well, just forget it. I know you are the developer, you have the right to choose what feature to add.

Thank you for your efforts on this free software.