A problem and a functionality question

This is the place to post questions and comments about the FlexBanner component
Gord

A problem and a functionality question

Post by Gord » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi there...sorry for what may be dumb noob questions but here goes:

Ok, first the problem.

Running Joomla 1.5.8 and latest download of flexbanner (not sure what else you need).

I can get the Flexbanner title to appear on all pages using the User5 position in my template (Using the Banner position in my template yields nothing at all) however I can't get any banners to show. I have the "Restrict by ID" switched off in both the com and the mod. I note that there was some discussion about selecting the location ID.

I understood that when you set up locations you could use friendly names (mine are currently bill, joe and bob for test purposes) and that the software would assign ID numbers, which are what would be used when creating a new banner. But when I go to create a new banner the software shows the friendly names, not the ID numbers. Could this be the problem? How to resolve?

Now the functionality question.

Most of my pages can have random banners, no problem. However, I do have a number of pages where I want specific sticky banners on them as premium positions (for example, at the top of a section of Classified ads pertaining to automobiles, I would want a banner from a local car dealer and no others. On another classified section for animals I might want a banner for a tack store or pet store and none others). Some of my pages are external websites that appear in a joomla wrapper.

How do I get this functionality? Is it possible? Sorry if that's a twit question - I've gone through the docs and played with dang near everything I can think of for settings.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Gord

PS...btw, I should add - I LOVE the layout for creating the banners and clients and having them all in one place. I hope I can get this to work the way I want because the way this looks makes so much more sense to me. Thanks for building it.

Andrew998

Re: A problem and a functionality question

Post by Andrew998 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Gord wrote:Hi there...sorry for what may be dumb noob questions but here goes:

Ok, first the problem.

Running Joomla 1.5.8 and latest download of flexbanner (not sure what else you need).

I can get the Flexbanner title to appear on all pages using the User5 position in my template (Using the Banner position in my template yields nothing at all) however I can't get any banners to show. I have the "Restrict by ID" switched off in both the com and the mod. I note that there was some discussion about selecting the location ID.

I understood that when you set up locations you could use friendly names (mine are currently bill, joe and bob for test purposes) and that the software would assign ID numbers, which are what would be used when creating a new banner. But when I go to create a new banner the software shows the friendly names, not the ID numbers. Could this be the problem? How to resolve?
You can find the numeric ID on the Manage Locations page of the component.
Gord wrote:Now the functionality question.

Most of my pages can have random banners, no problem. However, I do have a number of pages where I want specific sticky banners on them as premium positions (for example, at the top of a section of Classified ads pertaining to automobiles, I would want a banner from a local car dealer and no others. On another classified section for animals I might want a banner for a tack store or pet store and none others). Some of my pages are external websites that appear in a joomla wrapper.

How do I get this functionality? Is it possible? Sorry if that's a twit question - I've gone through the docs and played with dang near everything I can think of for settings.
If you only assign a single banner to a location that is the only banner that will show. You can set up as many locations and use as many copies of the module as you want.
Andrew998
Developer

Gord

Post by Gord » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:27 pm

Sorry, yes. I should have been more explicit. When I set up the locations it does show a column named "Location Name" (where I entered my friendly names) and another column titled "Location ID" which the software assigns as 1, 2, 3 etc.

When I go to create a new banner, in the "Location(s)" box it shows the friendly names only. I cannot type a numeric value in there. Is this likely causing the problem? How to address this?

I'll work on figuring out assigning locations to pages and additional copies of the module once I can see a banner.

Thanks

jsooter

Post by jsooter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:59 am

I had a hard time at first with this one too.
When your setting up a new banner pick the friendly name you gave the position in the position box. The module is where you have to specify the number "location ID" i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc... You can have copies of the module in different template positions each calling a different Flexbanner "location ID".

On my site I have a copy of the module called FlexBannerTop in the BannerTop position that I created in my templateDetails.xml.
The module is set to the "location ID" 1 of Flexbanner.
And I made a banner that is set to the location TopBanner which is the same as "location ID" 1.
So it shows in the module and in the right place in my template.

Gord

Post by Gord » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 am

*sigh* - sorry to bug you one more (hopefully last) time.

Thanks for all the help so far, I now get how to do the different location IDs and whatnot - thanks!

The only trouble I'm running into now is that when I try to create a new banner, when I save it I only see the broken image link in the "Manage Banners" page. On my webpage I see the title and the broken picture link placeholder (correctly sized) but no banner image.

To simplify and standardize everything I have only one copy of the mod set to appear on all pages.
- "Location ID" on the mod matches the only location ID I have setup in "Manage locations"
- "show title" and "enabled" both equal yes
- load after content and load in new window are both no
- standard included joomla banners module is disabled

In the banner manager
- the banner I am using is the standard osmbanner2.png (the banner image shows when creating the new banner, but shows broken link on the summary page when I save it)
- image size is set to full banner (468 x 60)
- restrict by ID is "No"
- publish is "Yes", from today thru Friday, with 5K impressions and clicks for limits

I have the module set to appear in the user5 position in my template. User4 gives the same results. It may be noteworthy (it may not, I don't know) that when I select "banner" as the position, everything disappears.

(CORRECTION: Basnner position DOES work for showing the broken-link placeholder...still no image tho)

Looking forward to getting this working :)

Gord

Post by Gord » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:41 am

Sorry....hate to be pushy ....anyone have any ideas on why I can see the banner image when creating the banner but I only see the broken image link in the banner summary or on the banner pages?

All the paramters are set as above, most importantly the location IDs are set right now and the restrictions are off in both the com and mod. I get the same results regardless of which template I use.

Thanks,

Gord

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:15 am

Can you at least give us a link to the site? It's a bit hard to know without looking (bearing in mind there are now hundreds of people using this component successfully).

Do you have any scripts running on your site. I know that a lot of problems I have seen have been people using a Yoo theme template.
Andrew998
Developer

Gord

Post by Gord » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 am

I have no scripts that I know of running on the site. I will send you admin login details by email. Thanks!

Gord

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:33 am

This turned out to be an issue with relative URLs. A new version (1.5.10) has been released.
Andrew998
Developer

Gord

Post by Gord » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Wow! Andrew, you are simply brilliant!!!! Thank you so much for fixing that. I just now went in and created a copy of the mod, went thru all the steps to setup a new location and a new banner and voila! It all worked totally seamlessly.

You're a genius! Thanks!

Gord