Support Site Registration Problems/Issues...

General questions relating to Joomla!
tallship

Support Site Registration Problems/Issues...

Post by tallship » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:25 am

I registered on this site (obviously ;) ), and it wouldn't take my email address, so I had to put in one of those "Free Email addresses that I never check in order to finish the registration process, thinking I could just change my email addy once I was registered.

One of the problems with these AJAX email checkers is that they block many valid email addresses - such as mine, which DOES HAVE VALID MX RRs for my domain. Why? Dunno, but it's not because my email addy is invalid or has no valid MX RR on my DNS Servers.

Subsequently, I subscribed to your email newsletter w/my REAL email address. It sent me a confirmation which I promptly activated and voila! I'm subscribed to your newsletter - so you see, I have a valid email address.

I understand that many people hit our Joomla sites with SPAMbots, but the captcha scheme you are running here 'should' eliminate most of that - if it doesn't, it is configurable so that it is impossible to read by SPAMbots.

Anyway, I figured out my problem in your flexbanner component and module so that's all squared away, and I like the product much more than the Joomla standard 'banner' component and module too!

I'm looking forward to working with it much more and I applaud your efforts on an extension that is really fantastic!

But....

Can you please change my email address for me?

It's Bradley @ the domain below in my signature ;)

Kindest regards,
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
NorthTech Computer

tallship

Re: Support Site Registration Problems/Issues...

Post by tallship » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:53 am

There's only a couple of things I can think of that might have caused this issue w/not being able to register.

I might not have an SPF record (No Biggy, and I'm not into that anyway), or...

I don't use CNAMES - it is bad juju and causes unneccessary recursion (See Daniel Bernsteins discussion on the matter here: http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/notes.html#aliases

Most stock DNS setups use CNAMES to redirect queries to the mail exchanger instead of to it's A RR, but like I said, it's bad juju. I've been performing DNS administration since 1985 when we introduced it on MILnet and no that I have valid MX RRs.
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
NorthTech Computer

Andrew998

Re: Support Site Registration Problems/Issues...

Post by Andrew998 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:06 am

Hi Bradley

I've changed your email.

Unfortunately spambots are a real issue and it is a constant battle to fight them!
Andrew998
Developer