Banner ads, Impressions and crawlers

General questions relating to Joomla!
mbrando

Banner ads, Impressions and crawlers

Post by mbrando » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi,

I have build a Joomla 1.5x site for a client. It has Pay for display banner ads through out the site and we are using Flex Banner to display the ads. The site gets what we think is a far amount of traffic. However the impression rates and clicks displayed in the stats for each banner seem unrealistic. For example we have only 1 leader board position with 5 ads. One of the bannesr is displaying 84,000 impressions when we only have a total of 64,000 page views for the entire site. Clicks are also off, some banners with 20,000 impressions are showing 250 clicks. So I have a few questions:

1) Can crawlers like Goolge and slurp cause this kind of havoc on the ad stats?
2) any ideas on how to control crawlers?
3) Can the crawlers be told to only crawl the site once a week?
4) If ads are served by another domain will that help the click through rates?

I'm looking for a best practice way to provide banners as to a web site and be able to provide solid stats for impressions and clicks. I'm also look at openX ad engine. It seems pretty solid but client is not liking the extra expense to install and configure it.

Thanks,
Mike

Andrew998

Re: Banner ads, Impressions and crawlers

Post by Andrew998 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 pm

First question needs to be what are you using to measure your site stats? I'm certainly not getting a problem with Google affecting the click stats on my site.

Different crawlers can be controlled in different ways. Look for advice on their web sites.

I don't believe serving the ads from a different domain will make a difference.
Andrew998
Developer

mbrando

Post by mbrando » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi,

I'm looking at the stats from the banner manager in flex banner and the hosting stats at via AWstats.

Maybe they are over reacting. Like here is a leader board ad. The leader board position is on all pages but there are at least 5 ads:
from 6/1 to 6/10
impressions 13379
Clicks 195

You think there is a better explanation to the high impressions?

Thanks,
Mike

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Have you tested? Have you tried refreshing the site and checking how the impressions increment?
Andrew998
Developer

mbrando

Post by mbrando » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi,

I'm not following tested? Can you elaborate?

Refreshing the site appears to increment the impression properly.

The client claims that they had some issue with their previous developer / hosting provider where their ad stats did not reflect actual impressions and clicks. So now I'm tasked with trying to prove what is there is accurate or false and coming up with a plan to mitigate false stats.

I realize that this is not directly related to flex banner. I wanted to talk a bit to see if I was missing something. I have another client who runs OpenX for their ad distribution and their stats are very accurate. They pretty much the same impression that google adsense is paying from. We have not done any special work on their installation either other than install OpenX.

Mike

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

I simply meant had you tried refreshing the page and checking what happens (and you have).

I'm not familiar with OpenX so can't really comment on it.
Andrew998
Developer

mbrando

Post by mbrando » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi,

Thanks.

So do you think that crawlers can cause higher than expected impressions and click through rates?

Mike

Andrew998

Post by Andrew998 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm really not sure but I don't think they do on my site.
Andrew998
Developer

mbrando

Post by mbrando » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi,

I'll have to see if they want to pay to have some testing done or research looking at there stats to see just what kind of page views robots are creating.

Thanks,
Mike